Wednesday 5 November 2014

Shooting review

I should have made a silent movie.

Having arranged a date for my cast and booked the equipment I thought I would need, we made our way to our set straight after school.

While I wasn't expecting to have everything shot in this session, I had planned to bank a few key shots, meaning I could begin editing a bare bones version of my video and work out what cutaways (or B-roll footage) I needed to pick up the second time.

Unfortunately, despite bringing a shot-gun microphone, the sound quality meant the majority of my footage is unusable. It picked up a lot of the ambient sound (chatter, the noises from behind the counter ect) but that was at the expense of the actor's dialogue. You can even hear myself calling 'action' better than the actors talking.

Last Saturday as part of the BFI film academy, I worked as the sound recorder on a separate short film shoot which involved me taking the microphone into my hand, put on the headphones and listen intently for any discrepancies in the audio quality. For the majority of this shoot it meant me lying on the floor trying to stay out of frame. It's looking likely that I'm going to need someone to take this role for the reshoot, perhaps using a boom mic which will mean another addition to the crew.

However, it wasn't all bad - if I were to look at this shoot as a trial or a camera rehersal, it means that next time should be more efficient.

Dapper.


No comments:

Post a Comment